Thursday, November 5, 2009

Remember, Remember

Remember remember the fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot, I know of no reason, the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot. Yes, today is the fifth of November, and it is the celebration of Guy Fawkes Day. For those of you who do not know, Guy Fawkes Day is a holiday of sorts in the United Kingdom. This day is remembered because on November 5th in 1605, Guy Fawkes and a group planned to blow up parliament and King James I. This attempt was foiled but has come to be called the Gunpowder Plot. This date had come to be absorbed by the past in America until recently the film V for Vendetta rekindled the excitement surrounding this date.

The movie and the day relate to the United States role as a super power because of the messages both subjects send about standing up against totalitarian governments. V for Vendetta is inspirational in that although the character V is by no means pacifistic and there are riots in the country, the citizens are able to end the movie by standing up to the soldiers with no arms. I find that this action causes me to think about how a country could stand up to a totalitarian regime. Sadly, there are many parts to this movie that are fictionalized and are unlikely of happening, but it does cause one to think about it. I find that I myself dream that because the U.S. is the super power of the world, it could help people accomplishes these types of feats. Sadly, in the real world of today, it seems that the only thing that causes a country to change it's ways is military force, but we can always hope that someday this will be different.

Altogether there are around 50 countries in the world that are not considered free countries. Some examples of totalitarian governments in the world are Cambodia, Myanmar, China, Cuba, and Congo.

2 comments:

  1. n the novel and movie V for Vendetta, the protagonist V disrupts to totalitarian government through various terrorist acts. When you say "because the U.S. is the super power of the world, it could help people accomplishes these types of feats" do you mean that the United States should interfere with the development of countries that we deem need help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a terrible mistake that I made this statement confusing. By referring to feats, I was talking about the scene near the end of the movie (cover your ears if you don't want me to give it away) where the citizens of the country march to the capital. I think the citizens walking towards the army is an inspirational image. I am not saying that I agree with the violence that took place in the movie, or the use of terrorism, but the lasting image of all of the people walking gives me the image of a peaceful type of protest.

    In terms of the events of the movie, the idea of a "peaceful protest" is hard to be found. V uses violence to attack the government, and my image is a far-stretch from what events took place in the movie. I am sorry that I made this unclear

    ReplyDelete